News There for you

Can UNISON help you with a Winter Fuel Grant?

Winter fuelIf you are a UNISON member and are struggling to pay your fuel bill this Winter, UNISON Welfare, There for You may be able to help.


  1. What are UNISON There for You Winter Fuel Grants? In addition to our normal range of services and in response to the growing difficulty many members on low income are experiencing paying their fuel bills, a programme has been put in place that will assist our most vulnerable members.
  2. How much are the Grants? They are one-off grants of £40.00 per household.
  3. Am I eligible? To be eligible you must be:
  • A member who has paid 4 weeks subscriptions before the launch date of this programme (15/12/15)
  • Have a total net annual household income of £18,000 or less. [Note:By household income we mean net earnings after tax, national insurance, pension deductions, of you, your partner and any other adults living in the property. Please also refer to next bullet point:
  • The following is not included as income for the purpose of this specific grants programme: – Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payments, Child Benefit and the childcare cost element only of Working Tax Credit.
  • You are responsible for meeting the household fuel bills and are struggling to pay them. Is there anything else that may affect my entitlement to apply?
  • Members and their partners must not have combined savings or, rolling bank balance, of more than £1,000. Savings of any other adults in the household do not apply.
  • You must not have received financial assistance from UNISON There for You during the previous six months
  • Applications are limited to one per household and priority is given to those who have not previously applied
  • Ensure you send all requested paperwork with the form or the application cannot be accepted

How do I apply? To apply for a Winter Fuel Grant simply:

  • Print out and complete the short 2-page application form
  • Or contact Unison Direct on 0800 0857 857 for a form to be posted to you
  • Provide us with supporting paperwork i.e. evidence of your entire household income by sending copies of your and your partner if applicable) last month’s payslip(s); ast full month’s bank statements for all bank accounts held by you and your partner (if applicable)
  • Submit the form along with the completed short survey by 23 Feburary 2016.
  • Post your application including all supporting paperwork to: UNISON Welfare, UNISON Centre, 130 Euston Road, London NW1 2AY, OR:
  • Scan and send by e mail to – and include completed application form and all supporting paperwork.